Thursday, August 14, 2008

What Apps Are on Your Main iPhone Screen?

The main home screen of your iPhone is prime territory. The applications that reside there aren't even a swipe away. Here is what my screen looks like:


I am still in the process of getting this screen exactly how I want it, but I'll go through and explain what is there, and why.

AIM
I'm a fan of iChat, not a fan of AIM. I don't really like the interface or the layout of the app. I have it in the #1 position for the future. Once Apple adds their Push Notifications API for public consumption AOL will support this. When they do my need for text messages will decrease dramatically (and therefore my need for the $5 addition to my AT&T bill (we got our first bill since our switch to the 3G model and it was buggered up, big surprise)). I have seen Twenty08's MobileChat (iTunes link) and am intrigued. Once the Push service for 3rd party apps goes live I would gladly consider paying $2.99 for a well done chat client. 

Remote
Apple worked some magic with this one. Remote works flawlessly and allows us to manage and navigate our music library on our computer or AppleTV's with ease. Even better it allows us to turn on and off streaming to our AppleTV's on the fly. This way when we go from room to room we can have the music follow us. It has been priceless in combination with our outdoor speakers. Before, with the AppleTV remote, we needed line of site to change any music. With Remote we can do whatever we want from the comfort of our lawn chair.

Twinkle
Twinkle or Twitterrific? Twinkle has won the battle of my Home Screen at the moment. Twitter still sits on page 2, ready to pounce at any moment. The only reason Twinkle is on top instead of Twitterrific is because of scroll speed. I have had constant issues scrolling with Twitterrific. If they can fix this in an update (which I'm sure they can) then I'll switch in an instant.

NetNewsWire
Brent has worked magic with this app. Since the addition of the preference to remove a feed from the iPhone (and keep it in a desktop client) I have been hooked. To have feeds fade away when there are no unread articles makes the list clean itself right up. It's perfect for iPhone. NNW is a great example of how the feature sets of a desktop app and iPhone app need to be different.

Exposure
I love Flickr. Exposure lets me have that same well thought out experience on my phone. 

Poker
This is MotionX Poker, which I have already talked about in detail. You can read that for my thoughts.

Cro-Mag
I wanted to pick up a racing game that I could use to show off the unique features of the iPhone (specifically controlling with the accelerometer). My choice was between Crash Bandicoot and Cro-Mag. My ultimate decision came when the developers of Cro-Mag dropped the price of the game from $9.99 to $5.99. 

While there are many excellent aspects of the game (I might write something longer on it later) it is not a quick pick-up-and-play-for-3-minutes-to-kill-time-game. I wanted to be able to finish a race quickly. The tracks are very long and take me about 5-8 minutes to finish. That's too long. I am not using my phone as a gaming device. I want a racing game that I can start and finish (one race at least) in just a couple of minutes. 

I'm not arguing that Cro-Mag isn't a great game (although it does have its quirks), I'm just saying it doesn't fit my needs quite like I hoped it would.

Hold 'Em
Apple's attention to detail here is amazing. While I only play it once a week at this point I keep it on my main screen because I paid for it. 

Labyrinth
Excellent in fulfilling my desire for a play-for-2-minutes-to-kill-time-and-be-done game. I'll play a couple levels while I'm waiting for something to finish and then be done with it. Just what I want.

What does your home screen look like?




No comments: